AMSL Diabetes Ambassador Neil McLagan
Crossing For A Cause!
Meet AMSL Diabetes Ambassador – Neil McLagan.
Neil is a 36-year old father, partner and Customs Broker. He not only lives with type 1 diabetes, but also has coeliac disease and Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism, therefore, a triad of autoimmune related diseases. Neil has always been physically active and his greatest love has been competitive road cycling. He has used his commitment to fitness to help manage his type 1 diabetes.
Neil has initiated a project called, Crossing For A Cause, where he proposes to ride solo from Perth to Sydney to demonstrate that this condition does not place absolute limits on a person’s capacity to achieve, or do difficult things and enjoy life. In doing so, he will be amongst an elite group of athletes to not only have completed the crossing on a bike, but Neil believes as one of the few perhaps with type 1 diabetes to have achieved this.
Crossing For A Cause has been assembled with the purpose of achieving 3 primary objectives:
- To raise awareness for type 1 diabetes and to highlight the importance of living an active and healthy lifestyle to manage this chronic condition.
- To raise funds for the Telethon Type 1 Diabetes Family Centre
- To include the use of Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) technology to demonstrate the effectiveness and essential nature of the device in managing type 1 diabetes.
Neil uses the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System to assist with his training and shared with us, “Cycling for me used to be fraught with unpredictable blood glucose levels and events. Thanks to the Dexcom G5 Mobile, I’m able to replace uncertainty with assurance and enjoy what I love doing.”
To calibrate his readings, Neil uses the OneTouch Verio IQ Blood Glucose Meter.
His favourite things about the OneTouch Verio IQ:
- It’s consistently accurate
- It’s rechargeable
- Its backlit screen is bright and easy-to-read
Stay tuned for updates on Neil’s journey on Crossing For A Cause on the AMSL Diabetes Facebook page!