Dexcom G5® Mobile Continuous Glucose Monitoring
Discover Dexcom G5 Mobile Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM).
Monitor your glucose on the go with the world’s first mobile-connected CGM system. The Dexcom G5 Mobile system gives you the freedom to view your glucose levels, trends and data from your compatible Android or Apple display devices. A Dexcom G5 Mobile Receiver can also be acquired as an optional display device. Better yet, with Dexcom G5 Mobile, you can eliminate the need for confirmatory fingerpricks, for daily glucose management decisions.*
NEW! Animas and Dexcom CGM Introductory Offer – Contact us on 1300 851 056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
The CGM Subsidised Initiative is here!
The Australian Government is now providing access to fully subsidised Dexcom CGM products through the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS). Subsidised access to Dexcom G5 Mobile and Dexcom G4 PLATINUM CGM sensors and transmitters is available through the NDSS to children and young people aged under 21 years, living with type 1 diabetes, who meet specific criteria. Visit www.ndss.com.au/CGM for more information today or visit our CGM Subsidy Initiative page for more information on your Dexcom options.
Receive Alarms and Alerts Right on Your Mobile Device for added Peace of Mind
With the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System, you’ll be alerted directly on your phone when you’re heading too high or too low so that you can avoid potentially life-threatening hyper or hypoglycaemic events. Alerts and alarm sounds can also be customised to appear as a text message, allowing for additional discretion and privacy.
Adjust your Insulin without Fingerpricks*
CGM unveils what no meter can. While meters give a number for a single point in time, CGM provides dynamic glucose information by showing where your glucose is, where it’s going, and how fast it’s getting there. Better yet, with Dexcom G5 Mobile, you can eliminate the need for confirmatory fingerpricks, for daily glucose management decisions. *
Monitor Your Glucose with the World’s First Mobile CGM Platform
Dexcom G5 Mobile is the first and only continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system approved for making treatment decision’s without a fingerprick for adults and children 2 years and older. Using Bluetooth technology that is built into the transmitter, Dexcom G5 Mobile allows for complete remote viewing of glucose levels, trends and data from your compatible Android or Apple smart device.
Dexcom ShareTM your CGM data with Loved Ones
Through secure wireless connections, the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System allows remote viewing of glucose levels, trends and data between the person with diabetes and their spouse, grandparent or other loved ones from their compatible smart device. This provides you with added support and peace of mind!
Flexibility of Two Monitoring Devices
Although the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System is a mobile platform, a Dexcom CGM receiver is an optional purchase with this system should you not have a compatible smart device. This gives you the freedom to monitor your glucose data on your smart device with the Dexcom G5 Mobile app or by using a Dexcom G5 Mobile receiver.
Track Your Actions on Your Mobile Device
Now you can keep track of events that affect your glucose levels on your mobile device. The Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System provides a platform to enter customisable events, giving you the ability to track how your daily activities influence your glucose trends.
Exceptional Accuracy and Sensing Performance
Dexcom G5 Mobile provides consistent, accurate1 sensing performance with MARD of 9% for adults2 and 10% for children3 as young as 2 years old.
Due to the accuracy, CGM use has been proven to reduce HbA1c and decrease risk of hypoglycaemia regardless of delivery method.4
For information on the other Continuous Glucose Monitoring System we have, the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM please click here.
1 Dexcom G5® Mobile Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, User’s Guide, 2015
2. Bailey, Chang, Christiansen Clinical Accuracy of a Continuous Glucose Monitoring System with an Advanced Algorithm J Diabetes Sc Tech 2015 Vol 9(2) 209-214
3. Laffel Improved Accuracy of Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems in Pediatric Patients with Diabetes Mellitus – Results from Two Studies Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics Volume 18, Supplement 2, 2016
4. Soupal J, Petruzelkova L, Flekac M et al. Comparison of Different Treatment Modalities for Type 1 Diabetes, Including Sensor-Augmented Insulin Regimens, in 52 Weeks of Follow-Up: A COMISAIR Study. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics. 2016;18(9):532-538
^To view a list of compatible devices, visit www.dexcom.com/compatibility
*If your glucose alerts and readings do not match your symptoms or expectations or you are taking medications containing paracetamol/acetaminophen, you should perform a fingerprick to confirm your blood glucose level. A fingerprick is needed every 12 hours to calibrate.
*USE ONLY AS DIRECTED. YOUR DOCTOR WILL ADVISE YOU WHETHER THE DEXCOM G5 MOBILE CGM SYSTEM IS SUITABLE FOR YOU/YOUR CONDITION.
How it works
The Dexcom G5 Mobile System consists of three components:
- Small Sensor that measures glucose levels just underneath the skin.
- Transmitter that is fastened on top of the sensor and sends data wirelessly to your compatible Android or Apple smart device or your optional receiver.
- A Display Device which can be a compatible Android or Apple smart device^ with the Dexcom G5 Mobile app OR the Dexcom G5 Mobile receiver. Either choice of display will show your glucose trends in vivid colours so you can easily see when it’s high, low or within range.
Flexibility of Two Monitoring Devices
Although the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System is on a mobile platform, a Dexcom CGM receiver is another option for your family and can be purchased separately. This gives you the freedom to monitor your glucose data on your compatible smart device with the Dexcom G5 Mobile app or by using a Dexcom G5 Mobile receiver.
Find a full tutorial on the Dexcom G5 Mobile System here.
For more resources please contact AMSL Diabetes at 1300 851 056 or visit our resource page.
^To view a list of compatible devices, visit www.dexcom.com/compatibility Links may be in mg/dl. All Dexcom systems are available in mmol/L in Australia.
Dexcom G4/G5 Sensor
|Displayed Glucose Range||2.2-22.2mmol/L|
|Sensor Life||Up to 7 days|
|Calibration||Commercially available blood glucose meter|
|Storage Conditions||Temperature: 2° C – 25° C
Humidity: 0% – 95% RH
Dexcom G5 Transmitter
(Including sensor pod)
|Length: 3.8cm Width: 2.3cm
|Power Supply||Silver oxide batteries (not replaceable)|
|Storage Conditions:||Temperature: 0° C – 45° C
Humidity: 10%-95% RH
|Warranty||3 months (3-month life)|
|Moisture Protection||IP28 24hours at 2.4m|
|TX/RX Frequencies||2.402-2.480 GHz|
Dexcom G5 Receiver (Optional)
i. 30 days of glucose data
ii. 7 days of tech support data
|6m from Transmitter
7 days of tech support data
|Rechargeable Battery use||3 days|
|Alarms and Alerts||Customisable Alerts sent to your compatible smart device^ and Receiver
Fixed hypo alarm at 3.1 mmol/L
Through the Dexcom Follow app, up to 5 people can remotely monitor your glucose data and trends on their iOS or Android-enabled device^
at any time and also receive customised alarms and alerts
|Charging Time||3 Hours Power Outlet|
|Moisture Protection||IP22: vertically falling drops|
^To view a list of compatible devices, visit www.dexcom.com/compatibility
For more information about warranties please call 1300 851 056.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Continuous Glucose Monitoring Subsidy Initiative through the NDSS available for the Dexcom G5 Mobile System?
The Australian Government is now providing access to fully subsidised continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) products through the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) which includes both the Dexcom G5 Mobile System and the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM System. Subsidised access to Dexcom G5 Mobile and Dexcom G4 PLATINUM CGM sensors and transmitters is available through the NDSS to children and young people aged under 21 years, living with type 1 diabetes, who meet specific criteria. For more information please visit www.ndss.com.au/CGM.
What is the sensor adhesive made of?
It is a pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive coated on top of a polyester spun lace fabric. The housing is attached with cyanoacrylate glue from Loctite. Both are medical grade materials. There is no latex or bovine components in the adhesive.
Do I need to buy a receiver if i plan to use my phone?
Due to a change in regulations as of the 23rd November 2016, AMSL Diabetes is now able to offer the Dexcom G5 Mobile without a Receiver. Dexcom G5 Mobile is compatible with Android and Apple devices.
Is the Dexcom G5 Mobile System compatible with any Insulin Pump?
Not at this time in Australia. If there any further updates we will be sure to let you know.
How does the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System work?
The Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM System features Bluetooth® wireless technology in the transmitter that enables direct transmission of CGM data to a receiver OR compatible Android or Apple smart device.
The System features a small sensor that measures glucose levels just underneath the skin and a transmitter that is fastened on top of the sensor and sends data wirelessly to the System receiver or a compatible smart device. Out-of-range glucose alerts (with customisable sounds) may be sent to the user’s smart device, allowing for additional discretion and privacy. Additionally, using the Dexcom G5 Mobile App, users can share their glucose information with up to five individuals+ for added support.
+Followers must separately download the Dexcom Follow App to view shared glucose information.
How long does the transmitter last?
The Dexcom G5 Mobile Transmitter battery will last 3 months and has a 3 month warranty from the activation date.
Why are Profiles a good feature of the Dexcom Standalone system?
Profiles allow you to choose the way you want your alerts to behave. Depending on your daily activities, you can quickly and easily change the way your system alerts you by changing your profile settings to the sound pattern and the volume level that best fits your lifestyle needs. When you choose your profile setting it is important to know this setting will apply to all alerts, alarms, and prompts.
How often do I need to calibrate the Dexcom CGM?
You can calibrate when you are asked for the two start-up blood sugars and when prompted by the 12-hour calibration prompt.
How does Dexcom measure your blood glucose?
The sensor continuously measures glucose in the interstitial fluid (the fluid space between the cells) and can provide data up to 288 times in a 24 hour period.
How long can I wear a sensor for?
A single sensor is approved for 7 days use – the longest wear CGM in Australia.
Is the device implanted permanently under the skin?
No it is not. A very fine sensor is placed under the skin.
Is it waterproof?
The Receiver is not water resistant however the Dexcom Transmitter and Sensor are water resistant up to 2.4m for 24 hours.
Is the Dexcom G5 Mobile System compatible with the Apple Watch?
The Dexcom G5 Mobile App now supports Apple Watch and can be used to discreetly view your glucose reading, trend arrow and trend graph. In order to get started on the Dexcom G5 Mobile on your Apple Watch you will need to use the Watch app located on your compatible iPhone.
How to purchase
- The Dexcom continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) can be purchased directly from AMSL Diabetes. Consult with your private health insurance to see if they will cover your Dexcom CGM system but this will depend on your health fund and level of cover
- NEW: The Australian Government is now providing access to fully subsidised continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) products through the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS). Subsidised access to Dexcom G4 PLATINUM and Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM sensors and transmitters is available through the NDSS to children and young people aged under 21 years, living with type 1 diabetes, who meet specific criteria.For more information on this program visit www.ndss.com.au/CGM.
- Discuss with your healthcare professional to see if the continuous glucose monitoring system would be right for you
- If you would like to purchase the Dexcom without subsidy, you will need to complete the Dexcom order form even if you purchase online to agree to the terms and conditions
- Once the Dexcom order form has been completed and submitted to AMSL Diabetes, your first Dexcom system will be sent to your home. If you would like your Dexcom system to be sent your clinic/hospital for training or advise, please state this on the Dexcom order form before completion. If you require any further training on your Dexcom system please contact your healthcare professional or call the AMSL Diabetes technical support line on 1300 851 056
- All following orders can then be purchased by visiting our online purchasing shop
- Before purchasing the Dexcom G5 Mobile system, please check if you have a compatible smart device as the system will not function without this
For Health Care Professionals
This section contains information specially for Health Care Professionals such as clinical papers, order forms and checklists.